Monday, April 26, 2010

Have You Seen My Normal?

Friday afternoon, I was telling Shaggy how excited I was about Monday coming. He looked at me funny, cuz it's no secret around here that this Momma doesn't love Monday mornings.  Wrestling tired kids out of bed on early, cold, dark mornings isn't really my favorite way to start the day, you know?

But I explained to him that what I was really looking forward to was bringing back some semblance of Normal.  I was waxing eloquent on how I planned to start the week off with a bang: running laundry, making grocery lists, straightening the clutter, maybe even tackling the pile of paper work that accummulated over the course of the days that I was away caring from my mom. All very Normal activities for my Mondays and Tuesdays. And ooooh, when Li'l Empress headed down for her nap, I could get my Normal on and head to the grocery store.

I was getting really excited, the more I thought of the peace and order that Normal would bring back to The Gang's abode. I was on a roll, baby!

He let me go on for a couple minutes, sympathetically nodding his head, and (I thought!) agreeing that the presence of Normal was going to be "extra" welcome around here.

When I wound down my mini-rant, he looked at me and said, "Well, all that would be great. Except that Monday won't really be Normal.  Dr. D has PSSA's in the morning. Daddy's working from home after he comes home from the tests with Dr. D. And the kids will probably still be home because of the strike."

(Yes, our school district is on strike. In APRIL. I know.
Don't even get me started on THAT particular topic!)

I felt so deflated!  And I must admit, a little annoyed at how he let me go on and on.  But he's right. Darn it, Normal isn't here today. Come to think of it, I can't really remember the last time we had some "normal" Monday around here. . . 


{calling in a loud voice} "NORMAL?!" 
"Where are you, Normal?!"

"Hello?  Have you seen my Normal?"

I seem to have misplaced my Normal.
If you've seen it, can you send it home?
I'm missing it this dreary, rainy Monday morning.

4 comments:

Mrs. C said...

Just wanted to tell you 'I hear ya' and completely understand. Additionally my normal is note necessarily the same as everyone else's. Why not? Life would be so much easier if it was...:)

Julie said...

Teachers on strike? You must be kidding. Geez.

I think I'm going to go on strike today to. That sounds kind of nice:)

Amelia Antwiler said...

I'm sorry, Hon. I haven't seen it. I haven't seen my own for years. Oooo -- maybe our normals went to Hawaii!!! Let's go see if we can find them!!!

Aus said...

Let's see - "teachers on strike", "had to help with my parents" (who I hope are OK - prayer), and a mom to many kids....that IS normal isn't it? If it's not then WE don't know what normal is! :)

Hugs - we'll both have normal someday - but what will we do then?

aus and co.