Monday, January 25, 2010

You Gotta Try This One!

I've been making this dish for a couple years now. I created it on one of those nights that I was trying frantically to pull something interesting together for dinner. Mostly because I hadn't really planned any further than thawing a package of chicken thighs. I was also trying to use what was on hand - thereby putting off that awful trip to the grocery store one more night!

It was a big hit and I've tweaked it a bit here and there over time. It's super easy and I LOVE that I can make it as soon as I put Li'l Empress down for a nap and it's done long before anyone comes home from school. It sure cuts down on that "w!tch!ng hour" chaos that all us moms love. {snort!}

Maple Mustard Chicken Thighs

Whisk together equal parts of Dijon mustard and maple syrup. Press 2-3 cloves of garlic into it and mix well.

Lay boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped onions, and any combo of potatoes you like into a shallow baking dish or roasting pan that's been sprayed really well. This week, I used 12 chicken thighs, 1/2 of a huge Vidalia onion, 4 large sweet potatoes and 6 white.

It helps to toss the potatoes and onions in just a bit of olive oil whisked with Dijon first to coat them well. Make sure the ck. and veggies are mixed up well in pan - especially if the thighs have been well skinned and trimmed of all fat.

Pour mustard mixture over all and bake at 300 for 1 1/2 hours. or until largest potatoes are tender. Only turn or mix up once or twice in that 1 1/2 hour, being careful not to tear chicken while doing so.

Turn heat up to 375 for another 20 minutes till all starts to brown up nicely. I like it slightly darker than lightly browned - it makes the flavors stronger.

It's also great with carrots and/or butternut in the mix.

1 comment:

Amelia Antwiler said...

I'm amazed at those who say "I think I'll put this + this together in a recipe" and it works so well.

If I try this - I'll have to use a different name for it, though. If I tell them it's got mustard in it no one will eat it.