Friday, July 29, 2011

"It's A Speed Play, Mom"

On the way home from football practice the other day, Dr. D was telling me about a new play that the team added to its repertoire.

Well, he didn't use the word "repertoire."
I think I'm the only one in this house that uses that word.

Just like I am the only one in my house that uses
the grocery list to write down depleted items.  Ahem.
But I digress.....

Anyway. He told me about this play. Apparently he is a key player in this strategy of play. It seems that after the snap, the QB (Oh, sorry. That's football talk for quarterback. See how I dazzled you with my knowledge there?! Heh.) is supposed to hand off the ball to the WB (Wingback. Dr. D's favorite position on this sophomore team.) and the WB is supposed to run around the outside and head for the endzone, "straight at the LB."

Ummm. That's "LB" as in LINEBACKER.
As in really big, beefy dude on the opposing team. The big one.

"Oh. Yay," I said weakly. Visions of backboards and neckbraces and flat little Dr. D's flashed through my head.

Just for a second.
I know. Oh, me of little faith.

He must have seen my face change. He grinned. And said, "It's a speed play, Mom. As long as I'm fast, I'll be okay."

Ummmm. Yeah.

"You mean, as long as you are faster than the linebacker, you'll be okay."

Big grin.

He was thoroughly enjoying
my discomfort. Brat!

"Yup. That's what I mean."

Ugh. It's gonna be a long, long season.

No comments: