Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Blizzard of 2010

Well, we survived! The Blizzard of 2010 raged around us from about 8 p.m. on Tuesday, the 9th straight through till the early morning hours of Thursday, the 11th. I fell asleep last night to the sounds of high winds and creaking siding outside my window. I haven't been out yet to look and see if there's been any kind of damage. But I did notice this morning from the upstairs windows that several trees in the "gully" behind our fence have lost branches. And darn it, none of the "ugly trees" came crashing down on their own! Below are some pics that The Boss snapped on his way out to work this morning. AFTER he shoveled (for the third or fourth time!) out the driveway.


From the sidewalk, looking up the drive.

Also from the end of the drive, looking straight back
toward the back of our property line, behind our shed.

The side entrance to the house. That pile
is as tall as me. I'm 5' 1' tall.
Five feet of snow, piled at my door.
Not really tall for a woman.
Entirely too tall for a snow pile!

Oh, my poor little Japanese maple.
I've been watching her anxiously since the storm
started. Next to my lilacs, she's my favorite little
tree on our property.
I sure hope she makes it to spring with all
her limbs intact!

So, there you have it. Our craziest storm ever. The kids are home today. They likely will have to have a delay tomorrow. And the forecasters are already prepping us for another "mini-storm" to come on Monday. Too bad Vancouver had to pay for this kind of snow coverage. I'd be more than happy to share!

7 comments:

Territory Mom said...

Now that's a snow storm. The photos are so beautiful. Stay warm

Cathy said...

While it really is beautiful, I've had enough, how about you?

MississippiZen said...

wow ... that is crazy! We are expecting 2-3" here in the deep South and our schools are closing and everyone is stocking up for the "Storm" LOL! Pics like that make me glad to be from MS :)

Stay Warm!

a Tonggu Momma said...

I heard y'all got almost as much as we did and boy did you EVER! That's a ton of snow when you have little ones. At least the Tongginator is a bit taller now... the snow piles didn't completely dwarf her. Glad you have power and are able to stay warm and cozy.

The Landes Family said...

This is what we have been battling since December 18th. It is still laying on the ground and we just, today, did not have to use 4 wheel drive. I AM DONE WITH WINTER.

Cindi Campbell said...

WOW! All we got was some big flakes that stayed around for about an hour. The girls loved it anyway. But...no pics....lol.

Amelia Antwiler said...

Those are fantastic pictures!!!!!

Our entire state shut down for waaaaaaaaaaaaay Less than that. It was amazing!!!