Thursday, May 24, 2007

Locks of Love


In honor of NBC's second annual Locks of Love cutting extravaganza this morning, I wanted to share our own LOL experience. In the fall of 2005, after hearing about this organization from some kids at school, my daughter LadyBug decided that she wanted to grow her hair and donate it. She decided at the same time to grow out her bangs. So for about 16 months, we found creative ways to pull her hair back, clip her bangs, and still make it "pretty" (a very big requirement when you are 6!). Swimming season was the easiest: I braided it once or twice a week in tiny little braids all over her head and let it go till it fell out of the braids!

Finally, in February of this year, LadyBug and my cousin Lauren headed out to our local hair shop. We passed the word to a friend in church and when we got there, there were three beautiful heads of hair, waiting to be cut. These are the "before" and "after" pics of my LadyBug. If she'd had her way, she would have given all the hair directly to the little girl in her school who has Alopecia! When we got home, Daddy made a big deal of the occasion, presenting her and my cousin with flowers and a card expressing pride in their selfless acts. It's been a bit of an adjustment, considering that the new haircut makes it official: she's not a little girl for much longer. But it was worth it all, knowing that her generousity and compassion was expanded and that some little girl will get to enjoy the beautiful gift of my LadyBug's pretty hair!





4 comments:

Kelli said...

I knew you were watching, my fellow Matt Lauer fan. :)

She looks lovely! I really like her in short hair.

Mrs. C said...

I think it is so neat how she is learning how to serve others and be selfless at such a young age.

I still cannot believe how grown up your children are! Then again, Ladybug isn't much older than Jeter.

Say Anything said...

What a fun way to give to others! My Chicken Nugget donated 10 inches last year. Just recently, she told me (on our way to get haircuts of course) that she doesn't want it short anymore. She said, "Mom I want to grow my hair long again and this time I do NOT want to give it to the sick girls!" Ahhh... such a sweetie - did she learn anything about giving? I sure hope so. Love LadyBug's hair short - it's very sassy!

BuzzKnitter said...

tracy, she looks so adorable, and what a grown-up thing for such a little girl to do!! i know she doesn't know me, but you can tell her that somewhere upstate, there is a woman who is proud to know of her selfless deed! :)