Friday, May 18, 2007

I Am Techie, Hear Me ROAR!

After several frustrating hours last night, followed by major connection problems with V****** and several more phone calls and troubleshooting with the V techs, I finally cried "Uncle" and called my blogger guru, Natalie. She patiently walked me thru the process and I've successfully enabled my comments. So have at it, gang! Drop me a line and let's start sharing our thoughts.

I'm not a competitive person, but I just had this unrelenting need to figure this world out, and conquer it. I've come to learn about myself that if I think I should be able to do it and I can't quite figure it out - watch out! I fell asleep last night thinking of ways to improve this blog and conquer the comments issue. And I woke up, obsessed with finding the solution. And with finding other things to learn about it as I go.

On another note, I have to tell you: this whole experience has The Boss and I shaking our heads and laughing. Let me give you the background: my little brother was for many years a very successful up and coming radio-frequency engineer for a large cell company. As part of the perks package, he was able to get great phones and cell service for many of us in the family. At first, I resisted - loudly, and regularly! - I finally relented and requested the most basic, no frills, no bells and whistles phone he could get me. Then we moved to "the suburbs" and my trusty dinosaur phone died. My next phone was only a slight improvement in technological wonders, and again, I had no extras. Boring ringtone, basic voice mail and for heaven's sake - absolutely NO TEXTING!

Then it happened. My brother responded to the call of the Lord on his life, left his company and prepared to head off to Pastors' College. Before he left, he informed me that the new "Razr" was on sale and if I wanted a great phone that would last for a lot of years, I'd better move on it before his last day at C*******. I caved. I didn't just cave: I jumped in head first! On the day that my phone was delivered and my service was set up, I actually felt high. (Or what I can only assume was high, having never been on anything but pain meds for a c-section!) I ordered a media bundle, bought ringtones (if you call me, I get to hear Keith Urban crooning to me!), and taught myself how to text. I even started taking pics of my kids, my cat, and the polar bear at the zoo. And swapping out my wallpaper every couple days. (A girl's gotta have variety, you know?!) I even cancelled all long distance on my home phone and my cell became my constant companion.

And several months later . . . in order to be faithful to do ALL we can to save money and funnel all "non-essential" funds (ha, LOL!) toward the adoption account, I cancelled my media bundle and contented myself with occasional pics stored for my own enjoyment. I determined that I could live with just the ringtones I'd already purchased. After all, BonJovi and Jennifer Nettles sing to me when the kids call from home and Keith sings . . . .well, you get me. Anyway! I bit the bullet and even pulled back my free minutes plan when we switched to unlimited long distance with V******. The problem is, I think the song I chose for The Boss's ring is too sad. It doesn't totally capture the essence of the love story between us. It's not "me."

I know, it's the most frivolous and ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If someone else complained to me about this, I'd quirk my brow and wonder. Maybe mutter some less than encouraging things under my breath about the marshmallow-y-ness of it all. But it's getting under my skin. It's bugging me. How stupid is that?!? I have the coolest phone, Keith sings to me daily, and I'm irked about my dh's ringtone. Come on! And now that I see this in print, I see how utterly vain and trite it is. And how completely BESIDE my original point it all is,too.

So anyway, the fact that I have begun my very own blog (embracing all its technology and terminology!) created quite a stir here in the house last night. The kids were buzzing, helping me create their names, asking me to post about the adoption (I will, I promise!), and begging to read what I wrote about them. And The Boss? He just keeps looking at me as if he's thinking, "Who are you and what did you do with my wife?!"

But now I'm thinking, once I get rolling, he may just be the most grateful man you ever met - I'll be using my thousands of words on you all and he won't have to duck at the deluge as he comes in the door any more :) And my next frontier to conquer is the digital camera - hint, hint, BossMan <3

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I had no idea every one had grown up so much! What a great photo. Good job on everything.

Anonymous said...

It is so good to hear you "talk" again! I am glad that you are blogging, and will definitely check in from time to time! This is from TCC's lil' sis - I will sign as JB on your blog :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you sure did use up alot of your words... and you want a digital camera, too?

This Journey of Mine said...

Yah! Your comments are enabled. Welcome, welcome, my friend to the blogging world. I am so happy to see you here.
And boy oh boy has your family grown up! Yikes! I can't believe that you have an almost 13 year old.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Tracey! I love the picture--how big everyone is!! I've been thinking you should blog for a while because your life sounds so interesting, and now I see that you are a gifted writer too! Will be checking in.

Natalie said...

There we go! We have lift off. And again, another delightful post. Now, if we could only find a way to make a living from spending 1 or 3 or 9 hours a day "tending" to our blogs.

So happy you've joined our sick and twisted, and slightly obsessive world.

Anonymous said...

hi mom

Plain and Simple said...

I am so happy to see you blogging! I can't wait to get to know you again. Your kids are sooooo grown up!!!! It seems like just yesterday that they were babies.

Welcome to the bloggy world. You will really enjoy it!

Melissa said...

I'm jumping up and down with fast little hand claps saying "yeah Tracy!".

yeah...well....my comments about "welcome to the blogging world" and "oH mY wORD your kids look so grown up!!" don't seem as original as they did this morning when I was one of the first people to check out your new Blob!

By the way, I just adore my pink Razr w/ matching blue tooth! You go, Girl!

Emily said...

Welcome to the blog world. I am so excited that you decided to join us. I see comments that you have left and have always thought that you should have your own blog to. I can't wait to hear what is going on in your life.

Kelli said...

Yeah :) Now I get to read all about the thoughts in Tracy's head. Like what she thinks while watching the Today show. :)

Mrs. C said...

I could totally "hear" you the entire time I was reading. Glad to hear you are up and running!

BuzzKnitter said...

so glad to hear that you are working on joining the photography world, too! i'm sure i speak for ralph as well when i say, can't wait to see your pics on flickr!!! ;)