Monday, May 4, 2009

Modify To Your Tastes

Okay, so today was dreary and cold and rainy. Again. I was tempted to fall back into bed after dosing Li'l Empress up with something to make her drowsy (NOT that I've ever done that before, mind you. I'm just saying I was tempted!) and hide under the covers for a good long time this morning. But I was on auntie-duty, the laundry mountains were multiplying by themselves, and there was nothing quick and easy in the house to serve for dinner. The day was calling.

After I got the gang all off to their respective buses, I threw in a load of laundry, reheated my coffee for like the 6th time and whipped up a version of these tasty morsels of health and goodness. My favorite thing about this recipe is how versatile it is. Today's treat was Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Muffins. My second favorite thing is how easy it is. Finally, my third favorite thing about this recipe is that no matter how stale the cereal, it turns out amazing muffins. Every. single. time. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think!

In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, I got the original recipe from cooks.com. It's been so modified and changed up for our health needs and taste preferences, that I can't honestly remember what is still original. But I just needed to make sure you knew it isn't original to my little brain.

The Best Bran Muffins
1 1/4 c. bran cereal (think All Bran or Bran buds, not flakes)
1 1/4 c. milk
1 1/2 c. flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 c. brown sugar, not packed
1 egg (or 1/4 c. egg substitute)
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. applesauce

Instructions:
  1. In bowl, pour milk over cereal and stir. Allow cereal to moisten while you work on other steps.
  2. In large bowl, combine all dry ingredients except cereal. (If adding raisins, oats, chips, or nuts, lightly toss them in dry ingredients as well.)
  3. In bowl of cereal and milk, add egg, vanilla and applesauce. Mix well.
  4. Slowly add wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients and fold in JUST till all the mixture is moistened.
  5. Scoop into greased muffin cups. Bake at 400 for about 22 minutes. Should yield 1 dozen medium sized muffins.

Modifications I make as the mood strikes me:
(The above recipe is the "bare bones" version)
  • Sometimes I do 1/2 white flour and 1/2 whole wheat
  • I often add 2 small apples, peeled and chopped
  • I love to add 1 c. dry oats. This requires an additional 1/4 c. applesauce
  • My kids love it when I throw in 1 c. chocolate chips.
  • I also have been known to add 1 c. raisins or craisins
  • I especially love this with 1 c. of coarsely chopped nuts (any kind is yummy!)
  • I like to add 2 tsp. of cinnamon, or 2 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice
  • Once I added a ton of orange zest (didn't measure!) with the craisins
  • Go ahead, go crazy and add all the "stuff" - I've done it before and they're super hearty and really tasty!
So, let me know if you try them out. And if you come up with any other add-ins or yummy changes, I'd love to hear about it.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Yummy. Sounds good.

Aus said...

Morning - well they sound pretty tasty - but - they are probably good for you too....dang....don't know if I can handle good for you in the morning!

hugs (and hopefully a giggle) - aus and co.

heidi @ ggip said...

Your recipes are always tasty. I bet today was a good day to bake, it was so chilly.

Wife of the Pres. said...

OK, I am going to try this. This is my kind of recipe! Simple ingredients but TASTY!!! I could totally see the LM getting in on this deal too! How are you all doing?

WE had the rain for 4 days straight. Hope it passes you by quickly.

Kayce said...

Yum! I was looking for a bran muffin recipe just the other day! I'm going to give these a try. We too have had the dreary, rainy weather...for 4 days now!! Hope spring blows in soon!