Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Stirring Up Memories

This is one of my favorite recipes. It's easy, tasty, and uses up those cartons of white rice left over from ordering Chinese take-out quite nicely. Not that we have many left-overs of take-out anymore, with our big brood! I got the recipe from a dear friend many years ago when we led a small group for young married couples. They moved away shortly after she shared this recipe with me and I've always missed hanging out with her. Every time I make it, I take the time to pray for D & J and the path the Lord has them on. I recently re-connected with her on Facebook; so yesterday when I made it, I also dropped her a note telling her that I prayed for her and her family. Don't you just love how food connects us to wonderful memories and dear friends?!

Chicken Salad Casserole

2 c. diced, cooked chicken
1 can cream of celery soup (I use the 98% fat free)
1 1/2 c. cooked rice, cooled slightly
5 oz. can water chestnuts, drained and sliced thinly
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
3/4 c. light mayo
1 c. shredded cheddar
2 c. crushed potato chips, reserved
Combine all ingredients except reserved potato chips. Pour into a 9x13 that's been lightly sprayed. Sprinkle top with crushed chips. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly around the edges.

This freezes great if you choose to double or triple it. Just be sure to NOT top with the chips till it's thawed and you are ready to bake it.

If you do freeze it, you may need to add more rice to balance out the moisture that builds up in the freezer.

So, what recipes do you have that stir up great memories?

3 comments:

Aus said...

Well - leave out the mayo and you may have something! :)

And you are oh so right - there are some foods that are just a memory - when time permits I'll send you one for a 'chili' (having spent some time in the southwest I have a little trouble calling it that!) that you might just like!

We'll give it a try!

hugs - aus and co.

Unknown said...

sounds good to me. Anything with potoato chips is good.

Nothing like a memory with food in it. It just seems to make it all better of a memory.

heidi @ ggip said...

You know what it is about your recipes, I just want to make them. It's not just that I think they look good or interesting, I actually want to make them. :)