Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Winter Vacation, Interrupted

This past weekend, we had a Friday/Monday combination of days off from school. We had planned to head to visit some old friends for a four-day winter break, but viruses interrupted those plans. So we hunkered down at home and made some alternate plans. The kids were deeply disappointed, however. No alternate plans could fix that. We allowed them to be frustrated and sad for a bit, but worked at redeeming the time with some other distractions.

So, Friday night we made a spontaneous taco dinner party. The kids and The Boss all took turns with the Wii and everyone went to bed way too late. Saturday, we treated the kids to a Valentine lunch at "Cheeburger Cheeburger." True to all the hype we'd heard from friends, their burgers were yummy and the shakes were amazing! Li'l Empress was quite moody for the first half hour we were there, but settled in nicely and enjoyed her diced turkey and the occasional french fry and squished grape. I wish I'd have thought to bring my camera - the delight in her eyes when I let her try my shake was truly a "Kod*k" moment. Her little eyes got big, her eyebrows shot up and she pronounced it amazing with a hearty, "MMMMMMMMMMM!" while trying to swallow and take in more all at the same time!

After a not-so quick stop at H*me Dep*t (nothing is fast with 5 kids in tow!) for paint and supplies, we came home and The Boss and the boys patched walls and moved furniture for the Living Room Re-Do. Since Li'l Empress had a seriously abbreviated nap in the car, we managed to get all the kids to their rooms and the little ones off to dreamland early after exchanging inexpensive little gifts The Boss and I had scored on a quick trip out during nap time on Friday.

The Boss and I celebrated Valentine's Day with a little finger foods feast I assembled and watched an episode of ER that I'd DVR'd a while back. It was too late to start a movie, and it's a good thing we didn't pay for one. The Boss fell asleep by 10:10 on the couch. I followed suit a good bit later and we both woke around 11:45 with stiff necks and cold feet.

Sunday was spent with more patching and sanding by the menfolk. The Boss and I have a system down pat now for home improvement projects. I do the design and decor planning. He does the physical labor. I do the baking and cooking of yummy meals and snacks that will keep his gas tank full and happy. I used to help with painting, but apparently I'm not quite meticulous enough for his standards. And, in true introvert form, he really likes to work alone in the space. He can even work for hours in said space with NO MUSIC. Whatever! So I whipped up a batch of chocolate chip cookies after lunch. After dinner, I chopped and diced and simmered a yummy soup for Monday.

The ceiling got prepped and painted on Monday. It's undoubtedly the worst part of any home improvement project, what with all the craning and stretching and straining. But it's already made a dramatic difference in the light and bright of the room. Enough of a difference that I'm wondering if the previous owners EVER painted the ceiling in the 30 years they lived here? I can't think about that too long, it's just gross to think that they never cleaned or refreshed the paint there. Ugh.

So, the first coat of green is up already and I'm chomping at the bit to dig out the boxes of prints, framed pictures of The Gang, and other decor I've had in storage for the past 4 years. I can't wait to take out my curtains and wash and iron them. I'm actually excited about shopping for thermal blinds for the huge window and picking curtain rods. And I'm currently hatching a plan to re-do the outdated brass lamps we've been using. I think I see some sandpaper and faux finish in their future! But shhhh, don't tell The Boss. That's another one of those "menfolk" projects that he has declared requires a meticulous touch. Which I apparently don't have. Humph!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

tell your husband that he can come paint my house next. HA HA HA

Cathy said...

Sounds like a great weekend!

Salzwedel Family said...

I heart home improvement projects! Can't wait to see the finished product.

heidi @ ggip said...

I'm about to make my poor husband start painting. He does not like it so much as yours!

It must feel so good to have that done!

My Little Nest said...

He could make a side career out of it, with all the projects you guys have tackled over the years!