Saturday, August 9, 2008

Giddy About Laundry

Now that I know what my little Chinese peanut weighs, I was able to haul up from the basement (well, let's be honest, Shaggy hauled!) two bins of 6-9 month girl and 12 month clothes. After a quick call to my SIL, Teagan's mommy (the cousins are 2 weeks apart in age, and weigh about the same!), and a search through the photo albums from LadyBug's first year, I determined that I will likely need a blend of both sizes for at least our trip to China. And so the fun began. It was quite a stroll down memory lane for me, and not surprisingly, a few tears were shed in the reminiscing. I had been a little frustrated earlier this week, that we were getting an 'older' baby, frustrated that we were missing her first year. Pulling out these clothes and remembering my little LadyBug in them was such a vivid reminder that a 1-year old is still such a baby! Holding up little denim jumpers next to LadyBug's long, lean 9-year old body brought a fresh rush of tears. I can't believe how quickly the years have flown by. I can't believe she was ever that little!

I put together a nice combination of two-piece 6-9 month clothing with a pile of smaller 12 month jumpers and one-piece rompers. While I was doing it, I was reminded of the prayer times I used to enjoy while folding my little ones' laundry piles. And with four kids in 7 years, I had me some serious laundry piles. And thankfully, some serious times to indulge in little snippets of conversation with my Father about the children He'd given me.

I saved the folding and putting away project for later, when I knew LadyBug and Baby BlueEyes would be around. The oooh and aaaaah fest was a special time to share with them. By the time we were done folding the first 1/2 of the pile, even the older boys had joined the perimeter of the room smiling at the cute combos and outfits. They even remembered seeing some of those clothes on LadyBug. I reminded them of when she was really starting to get her hair back in, how they used to tell me to put a bow or a headband in her hair. Even if we were just staying home that day! It was so much fun to sort all the clothing out and fill her dresser, praying over each pile and covering her from afar with my love and the love of Her Father.

I must say, given this chance to parent "again" after the whirlwind years of raising my first four in quick succession, I am thoroughly enjoying the opportunity to cherish the time of preparation. I am trying to savor the moments a bit more and remind myself regularly of the power of my prayers over her life. I've seen first hand (and still see daily) the impact that praying over my kids has, now that at least two of them are in their adolescent years. I'm so grateful that even in the crush and press for time when they were so young and "all on top of each other," I found time to pray and fill our home with the Spirit of the Lord. Most of those prayers were of the one-liner, frantic, over-the-kitchen-sink variety. And others were of the falling-asleep-in-my rocking-chair or over-my-Bible variety. But I sit here today, straddling the fence of "experienced mommy" and "new mommy-to-be" and I know beyond a shadow of any doubt that no matter the variety, those prayers were heard. They were attended to with loving care by my Father. And they will not and have not returned void.

So, am I giddy about my first load of baby girl laundry? You bet!

Psalm 61 (NIV)

1 Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.

2 From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

3 For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.

4 I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
Selah

5 For you have heard my vows, O God;
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.

6 Increase the days of the king's life,
his years for many generations.

7 May he be enthroned in God's presence forever;
appoint your love and faithfulness to protect him.

8 Then will I ever sing praise to your name
and fulfill my vows day after day.

9 comments:

heidi @ ggip said...

Aww. Those are sweet clothes. How fun to be able to choose the ones for your new little girl:)

Melissa said...

I'm rejoicing with you!

And, might I add that you don't look a day older then when you were putting Ladybug in the same clothes!

Salzwedel Family said...

Beautiful post! I am so thrilled for your family.

Who knew laundry could be so much fun? Praying for traveling news soon...

Kamandemmi said...

Once again you have brought tears to my eyes as I hear God's power in your post! We serve an awesome and mighty God and I know he is smilingon You His faithful servant. May Your travel approval come quickly and may you leave on Sept. 3. BTW, that is such a beautiful time to be in China. That is where we were 10 years ago at almost this exact time. May God richly bless you as you wait for the "filler" to that fabric memory weave.

Kathy

Elissa said...

I also blogged about how excited I was to wash Lily's travel clothes before our trip-- I can't believe how fun it was! It was also reminiscent for me since they were all hand-me-downs from my nieces, mostly purchased by their then-single and doting aunt :) Five months later I still enjoy washing Lily's cute little outfits, and cry each time I have to put something away because it's too small :(

I am so glad the Lord is giving your whole family such a special joy during this time of preparation for Aidan!

Amelia Antwiler said...

Oh, w hat a sweet day.
I can understand about the travel down memory lane those clothes brought. Mini-E is wearing Clothes that Mini-ME, seemingly just out grew -- even though she's now 9 and Mini-E is 2. :-)

I thrilled for you.

JMCS said...

I am so glad you enjoyed yourself getting Aidan's clothes ready. :)

She is going to look adorable and I bet she will wear mostly 6/9 month clothes. Our Sofia was 16 lbs. when we got her (a few days short of her 11 month b-day) and even some of the 6 month clothing was big on her.

Aidan will still be a baby when you get her. Even though she will be a year, she will probably be on the developmental level of a 6-12 month old. They catch up very fast once they are home. I promise you will have a lot of special baby moments to share together. It is also a really fun age because they are starting to get their personality and they are so much fun.

Hugs,
Jonni

Julie said...

I wish I could come over and help you. That sounds like so much fun.

Unknown said...

I am so happy for you all. As I read your blog I am reminded of God's power and ability to move mountains. I also wanted to let you know that I have a lot of girl clothes if you need them. Just give me a call. I will admit I have a lot of pink.