Saturday, June 14, 2008

Still No Word

The Boss and I were up before 6:45 this morning (not at all normal for either of us on a Saturday!), seeking the Lord and soaking in His Word. I must admit, as the time drags on (while we wait to hear from our agency about yesterday's glitch and what they are able to do to ensure that this child will indeed be ours) it is hard to keep choosing faith and standing on the promises that we feel the Lord has given us over this decision. But peace and faith are a choice and I am choosing to stand in that place, to be still and to know that He is in control. Those verses from Psalm 34, 37, and 46 mean ever so much more this morning than they even did on Thursday morning.

We are waiting expectantly. We are choosing to praise. I am supremely grateful for some particular things that have been happening here with the Gang lately that have prepared us for this vigil.

Ever since his accident, (see my 7/23/07 post) Baby Blue Eyes has struggled on and off with varying degrees of fear. These fears are mostly related to very large vehicles or thunder and lightning storms and do not dominate his life. But when they are triggered, they could easily dominate his day. We've dealt with it differently over the past two years. But recently I had this amazing conversation with him. (I didn't know just how amazing till I remembered our talks last night!)

I shared with him that instead of choosing fear, he could choose some different paths in his heart and mind. For example, when the doctor wanted to cap off his new adult tooth that was chipped in the accident and is now finally erupted, he chose fear. I helped him see how he could have asked the doctor or the nurse a couple questions that would have given him an explanation of what they were doing next. (In his defense, they did just kind of abruptly announce their plans and commence the project with little explanation!)

I also shared with him that he could choose to praise. His name, (his real name!) means "Our God is known through our praise," and is taken from Psalm 76. The psalmist there is proclaiming the glory and might of our majestic God. He's declaring His reign over all the land and his victory over all the enemies. I explained to BBE that when he feels fear fluttering in his chest, upsetting his tummy or messing with his mind, he can choose to worship Jesus. He can sing out loud, he can pray, he can even dance and shout to the Lord.

This morning, I am choosing to praise. I am choosing to worship. I turned my iPod playlist to all my hymns. While I was cutting up fruit for a yummy salad at 7 a.m., I chose to sing. Here's the song that the Lord has stirring in my heart for today. Please, sing with me. Worship with me.

JOYFUL, JOYFUL, WE ADORE THEE
by Henry van Dyke

Joyful, joyful, we adore Thee, God of glory, Lord of love;
Hearts unfold like flowers before Thee,
Opening to their sun above.
Melt the clouds of sin and sadness,
Drive the dark of doubt away;
Giver of immortal gladness, Fill us with the light of day.

All Thy works with joy surround Thee,
Earth and heaven reflect Thy rays,
Stars and angels sing around Thee, Center of unbroken praise:
Field and forest, vale and mountain,
Blooming meadow, flashing sea,
Chanting bird and flowing fountain, Call us to rejoice in Thee.

Thou art giving and forgiving, ever blessing, ever blest,
Well-spring of the joy of living,
Ocean-depth of happy rest!
Thou our Father, Christ our Brother,
All who live in love are Thine:
Teach us how to love each other, Lift us to the Joy Divine.

Mortals join the mighty chorus, which the morning stars began;
Father-love is reigning o'er us,
Brother-love binds man to man.
Ever singing marching onward, Victors in the midst of strife;
Joyful music lifts us sunward, In the triumph song of life.

4 comments:

Salzwedel Family said...

Praising & praying with you!

The Literary Gourmet said...

Thanks to Michael W Smith, I know all the words. And thanks to you, I've just examined them in a fresh context.

Life can pound on us, causing us to clench tight in fear. And the enemy loves to try to keep us bound, so we don't bloom. I love this image of the delicate, hurting areas of our hearts unfolding in His presence. He IS healing. He IS hope. And at His presence, every speck of darkness flees!

Sister-worshipper, I'm singing, adoring, and crying before our Father with you! Your love is so like His love--deep, unselfish--that it's got the enemy terrified. Your love unleashed on this earth is a tidal wave that crashes down upon all his schemes and brings rushing blessing in its wake.

Jesus is keenly interested in this force. More than just the hopes and desires of your family, radical spiritual warfare is being waged here! Jesus' very nature is being displayed in the earth.

Your victory is going to be glorious!!!

My Little Nest said...

Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart! I believe God has reasons for everything that happens. It may not be for us to understand right now, but later it's an "A-ha moment". "A-ha...now I see why God did that...He had a more Divine purpose". God is truly in control, and His ways are higher than our ways. Love you all, and continuing to pray.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

You are setting such a good example by waiting on the Lord, choosing to praise, and praying through this difficult situation. Hang in there.