Thursday, July 19, 2007

Kudos To Curves

My local Curves started a motivational summer program called Camp Curves this week. I understand that many of the members of the Curves community are doing it too. In it, members are divided into teams (I'm on Spirit and Encouragement) and every time a member visits, she has the opportunity to earn points for her team by choosing various activities to do while she works out. For example, one could sing a camp song or submit an easy summer recipe. Additionally, on Thursdays and Fridays one can earn points for correctly answering trivia questions or for being there at least 3 times for that week. It is a fun summer boost and a neat way to connect the members with each other and with the reason we all drag ourselves out of bed or home from work to sweat it up for half an hour.

I'm so impressed with the way that our local Curves is run. It's very aesthetically pleasant, with nice decor and inspiring posters and pretty accessories all around. All the staff members seem to be enthusiastic and committed to their corporate mission ("Strengthening Women"). They all go out of their way to greet each woman who walks through the door, and they talk about their lives and inquire about ours. It gets us talking and relating to women we might never meet otherwise. I rarely get to know anyone's last names, but these staff members foster a great sense of community and hospitality every time I'm there. Each staff member is very different and unique, but they all carry a warm, caring spirit. It makes me glad to keep going and it CERTAINLY makes it easier to face my early morning work-outs. And believe me, THAT's no easy task!

So, I'm giving a big shout out to my Curves. I'm grateful for a place to go, that encourages me to get and stay healthy and that makes me want to connect with others when I'm there. For an extrovert like me, connection is so very important. And considering how unhealthy and unfit I have been for the past 10 years, THANK YOU Curves for getting me hooked. And for keeping me coming back!

No comments: